New Dewar’s Marketing Ad Campaign and Commercial

on Nov 06 in Editorial by dan

The new tag line in dewars ad campaign is:

DEWAR’S®: THE DRINKING MAN’S SCOTCH

We were asked to comment on the new TV ads/commercial and posters for Dewar’s marketing campaign yesterday.

We were quite excited after reading the email which starts:

This edgy new campaign—which marks DEWAR’S return to national television after a five year absence—subverts the tired conventions and tradition that dominate Scotch whisky. Centered around the gritty world of the campaign’s icon—a beautiful, alluring and mysterious Scottish woman with the presence of a queen and the mouth of a gangster.

“The Drinking Man’s Scotch” reintroduces DEWAR’S to a new generation of modern men through the icon’s signature words of wisdom, such as, “Serious is not always easy, but it comes with serious benefits” and “Speed is often the enemy of true pleasure”.

The state of advertising and commercials these days gives me a migraine just considering it; most adverts are the equivalent of oh saying: “go on… buy our thing, its good… goooo on, go on, go on, go on” etc.

Having viewed the advert it pleasing to see that the advert is not loud or brash, it is not loaded with too many crap puns and is actually well recorded and edited. However, I have to say it left me cold. I am no more likely to buy Dewar’s and it hasn’t left me with a positive image of the brand. Personally I prefer adverts which stick to facts, or ads which promote a positive message.

If intense and broody is your thing then fantastic, I hope you enjoy but personally I would avoid the woman in the video not seek her out.

And here is a preview of the TV campaign for you:

My final point is; why call this the drinking mans whisky and give me nothing to think about? or did I just imagine that pun?

What do you make of it?

Update:

Who is the Woman in Dewars Scotch Ads?

A few people have been asking who the actress in the ads is…and the answer is:

Claire Forlani@ClaireForlani
Who apparently can be seen as Queen Igraine in Camelot on Starz this coming April.
Los Angeles · http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001231/

Mini Biography
Claire is an English actress born in Twickenham, London. At age 11, she entered the Arts Educational School in London. She also studied dance, which led to performances on stage in “The Nutcracker” and “Orpheus in the Underworld”. Claire was cast in the television mini-series J.F.K.: Reckless Youth (1993) (TV) and in the film Police Academy: Mission to Moscow (1994). In 1995, she played the supporting role of Brandi Svenning in Mallrats (1995). In 1996, she appeared in a supporting role as Sean Connery’s daughter in the blockbuster action movie The Rock (1996). She was also cast in the 1998 film Deep Rising (1998), but, due to creative conflicts, left the set during the first few days of filming. Claire joined the cast of “CSI: NY” (2004) in a recurring role as a medical examiner, Dr. Peyton Driscoll. She married actor Dougray Scott in 2007.

12 Comments

• dan says:

Since initially posting this I’ve been approached by a chap who was irritated that the woman in the Ad (Claire Forlani) is not in fact Scottish.

I’m not so sure it will bother too many people, and someone else said “she’s sexy regardless.”. She reminded me of Angelina when I first seen it.

• Marisa Malone says:

Oh Dewars Why??? My first taste of the mystical elixir called by my grandparents as “White Star” was when I came in out of the cold shoveling snow from the walk way of my house in Brooklyn. my grand ma (Nanna) said “Come here darlin and take a sip of White Star”.
      I still dont drink anything else. Why would you guys put that D actress with the worst Scot acent on National commercial?? WHY????
      You’re doin all the true “White Star” families a major grand injustice.
      By the way, My family still asks in bars in Brooklyn for White Star!!!
      And the bartenders know. Why dont you guys??? That dame aint no white star. Bless you lads never the less.

• Dave says:

Why oh why did you use a woman who has “the worst Scottish accent ever”?

Far from encouraging me to purchase this whisky, it has actually caused ridicule for the company when there are so many Scottish born actresses that could have filled the role ….. the pathetic attempt at the accent detracts completely from the goal of selling more whisky.

• Mark says:

This is the worst Scottish accent I have heard in my life! I have never heard of this brand, but I intentionally seeked out this advert online to check if the woman in the advert is actually scottish…. She is about as Scottish as the St. Georges cross!

• Notgood says:

What were these people thinking putting an obvious english woman and put her in a SCOTTISH whiskey ad with the worst scottish accent,this must mean that they searched the whole of scotland and could not find one sexy woman in the whole place, give me a break!! I’d say there are a lot of pissed people in scotland!

• Setright says:

The previous comment made me laugh ” I’d say there are a lot of pissed people in scotland!

Anyway , good to see a glimpse of a Bristol car !

• chris says:

Where do I buy this poster!? I need to purchase this!

• amirica says:

She also starred opposite Brad Pitt in Meet Joe Black.

• Bigfoot says:

She was also Ben Stiller’s “girlfriend” in the 1999 movie “Mystery Men”. She played a waitress at the diner where the super heroes hung out. It was on TV the other day and her DeWars ad was in one of the commercial breaks. As for the comment: “woman with the presence of a queen and the mouth of a gangster” is quite accurate… who cares where she’s from.

• Michele says:

I just don’t get it. What’s the point? It is the opposite of advertising to promote a brand.
    The woman is haughty and her face has a permanent sneer on it. I wouldn’t call it “serious” -
    I’d call it seriously angry! And what’s the benefit of that?